Show off your American pride with the 1776 Betsy Ross Flag T-Shirt. This classic, graphic tee features the original 13-star flag that Betsy Ross famously sewed over two centuries ago.
The Betsy Ross Flag, also known as the “13-Star Flag,” is believed to be one of the first flags of the United States. It features 13 stars in a circle, representing the original 13 colonies that declared their independence from Great Britain in 1776. The flag has 13 alternating red and white stripes, symbolizing the unity among these colonies.
The flag’s design is often attributed to Betsy Ross, a Philadelphia seamstress who, according to popular legend, was asked by George Washington, Robert Morris, and George Ross to create a flag for the new nation in 1776. However, there is no concrete historical evidence to support this claim. The story of Betsy Ross making the first American flag only emerged in 1870 when her grandson, William J. Canby, presented a paper to the Historical Society of Pennsylvania claiming that his grandmother had sewn the flag.
Many historians are skeptical about the Betsy Ross story due to the lack of primary sources and documentation. The only documented connection between Betsy Ross and flag-making is an invoice she submitted to the Pennsylvania State Navy Board in 1777 for making “ships colours.”
The first documented use of a 13-star flag was in 1777 when it was adopted by the Continental Congress in the Flag Resolution of June 14, which states: “Resolved, That the flag of the thirteen United States be thirteen stripes, alternate red and white; that the union be thirteen stars, white in a blue field, representing a new constellation.” This day is now celebrated as Flag Day in the United States.
While the true origins of the Betsy Ross Flag remain uncertain, it continues to be an enduring symbol of American history and patriotism.
- Leepson, M. (2005). Flag: An American Biography. Thomas Dunne Books/St. Martin’s Press.
- Eichhorn, A. (2011). The Myth of Betsy Ross: The History of the American Flag. Rosen Publishing Group.
- Mastai, B. L. (1973). The Stars and the Stripes: The American Flag as Art and as History from the Birth of the Republic to the Present. Knopf.
Taking Premium to a New Level.
The Details Behind Our Premium Tee’s High-Quality Design:
• Premium Quality: Experience all-day comfort and durability with our Ultra-Soft Airlume Combed and Ring-Spun Cotton.
• Above and Beyond: There’s NO cotton that is as soft and strong.
• Itch-free, Tag-less design.
• Proudly designed in the USA by a veteran-owned company.
• Shoulder-to-shoulder taping.
• Pre-shrunk fabric.
• Side-seamed construction.
• Heather colors contain polyester.